Fun activities at home!
During this time of social distancing many of us have sadly had to cancel our summer plans and vacations. Being cooped up tends to drive us all a bit stir crazy, especially the little ones. If your children are acting out in unexpected ways they could be feeling stress and anxiety just like you, be patient with them as they are learning to adjust to this “new normal” as well. . Sometimes all it takes is a little fun and sunshine to lift our spirits and get us back on track. Most kids love to go camping and explore the outdoors so why not think outside the box and have a little campsite fun without ever leaving the house. Here are a few ideas to get the adventure started….
1. Set up a tent in the living room, backyard or balcony. Make it magical and add a few string lights.
2. Go on a nature hike around your neighborhood. Make it more exciting and turn it into a scavenger hunt….finding certain flowers, or leaves. Another idea is to hide certain items along the route for smaller children to find.
3. Have a cookout with all your camping favorites, hotdogs, hamburgers and of course smores!
4. Bug hunt and observation. Find ladybugs, rolly polly bugs or dragonflies. If you are lucky you mi8ght even spot a lightning bug after it gets dark.
5. Play some backyard games and have a ring toss or bean bag throw competition.
6. Sit around and tell campfire stories and enjoy star gazing.
7. Get artistic! Nature rubbings or solar prints are wonderful outdoor crafts.
Whatever you decide, relax and make it fun for the whole family.